Support the BLUE MIND FUND.
Forgive me Mother Ocean for I have sinned.
It has been...well, forever... since my last ocean confession.
I accuse myself of the following sins:
1. I forgot to ask the waiter for “No plastic straw, please” and he brought my water with two straws.
2. I drove when I easily could have walked so that I could listen on the radio to Duke play basketball in the NCAA tournament.
3. I seriously had no idea where my dive buddy was while following that huge whale shark.
4. And then I encouraged everyone in the boat to lean over the gunwale and hug a grey whale.
5. Later, I ate some really, really great fish tacos and had no clue whatsoever what kind of fish it was, how it was caught, who caught it or where. I do know it wasn’t shrimp, though.
6. I went on a cruise. It was a ship full of musicians in the Caribbean and I got to have a beer with Ryan Bingham, Emmylou Harris and her mom. Yes, I enjoyed it.
7. Sharks do scare the hell out of me sometimes.
8. I still don’t completely understand how in the world a sea turtle finds the beach it was born on, thirty years later from 7,000 miles away. That’s just nuts.
9. I haven’t actually ever seen the TV show Whale Wars.
10. I am absolutely addicted to Swedish Fish and Turtle Chocolates.
I know the penance will include one or more of the following, which I will dutifully commit to undertaking: beach clean-ups, ocean outreach, tide pool walks, save-the-sea-turtles petitions, and volunteering for my favorite blue groups.
Glory be to Mother Ocean, and to our one and only Blue Marble, and to the Sea Turtles; as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever.
I remain your humble servant.
To post a comment, please login.
Wallace J. Nichols and Natalie Spear The First Lady of the United States, Melania Trump, connected... continue
Water, in all of its forms, is hugely therapeutic—and you can reap the mind-body benefits in... continue