Many thanks to everyone who has responded with letters, emails, Facebook postings, donations, and prayers to the murder of Jairo Mora Sandoval last week while monitoring sea turtle nesting at Moín Beach on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica. The investigation is very active in Costa Rica, but no arrests have been announced.
There are many ways in which you can help our Costa Rican colleagues, and also keep the pressure on the judicial system to make an arrest.
1. Please post a thought or prayer to https://www.facebook.com/JairoEstamosConUsted?hc_location=stream – this ‘living memorial’ is a source of comfort to Jairo’s family. Comments can also be posted to http://blog.conservation.org/2013/06/conservationist-killed-in-costa-rica-where-illegal-wildlife-drug-trades-threaten-security/ and/or to change.org’s petition page (see below).
2. Please sign a petition to the President of Costa Rica – you can visit http://www.change.org/petitions/justice-for-jairo-who-was-murdered-by-poachers-for-protecting-sea-turtles or http://action.seaturtles.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=13612 – together they have logged nearly 10,000 signatures. Please, let’s show the President of Costa Rica that the entire world is watching this investigation for news of an arrest by Costa Rican authorities.
3. Please consider donating to the REWARD FUND, which will be offered to person(s) providing information leading to the arrest and conviction of the men responsible for the murder: visit https://org.salsalabs.com/o/1723/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=10047 to make your donation.
4. Alternatively, follow your heart to the MEMORIAL FUND where you can make a donation, large or small, to help Jairo’s family. He was the sole provider for his mother and two young sisters: visit https://org.salsalabs.com/o/1723/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=10056 You can also send a check to my office (1348 Rusticview Drive, Ballwin, Missouri 63011 USA) if you prefer.
There has been prominent coverage in the US, UK, Canada and around the world. For the latest details, follow the news in Costa Rica’s national newspaper:
Thank you again, so much, for all your support,
To post a comment, please login.
1. WAFTAGE 2. WAHINE 3. WAHOO 4. WAIT 5. WAKANDA 6. WAKE 7. WAKIKIS 8. WALK 9. WALM 10. WANDER... continue
Join us for our 5th Annual 100 Days of Blue Campaign by getting near, in, on, or under water daily... continue