Forgive me Mother Ocean for I have sinned.
It has been...well, forever... since my last ocean confession.
I accuse myself of the following sins:
1. I forgot to ask the waiter for “No plastic straw, please” and he brought my water with two straws.
2. I drove when I easily could have walked so that I could listen on the radio to Duke play basketball in the NCAA tournament.
3. I seriously had no idea where my dive buddy was while following that huge whale shark.
4. And then I encouraged everyone in the boat to lean over the gunwale and hug a grey whale.
5. Later, I ate some really, really great fish tacos and had no clue whatsoever what kind of fish it was, how it was caught, who caught it or where. I do know it wasn’t shrimp, though.
6. I went on a cruise. It was a ship full of musicians in the Caribbean and I got to have a beer with Ryan Bingham, Emmylou Harris and her mom. Yes, I enjoyed it.
7. Sharks do scare the hell out of me sometimes.
8. I still don’t completely understand how in the world a sea turtle finds the beach it was born on, thirty years later from 7,000 miles away. That’s just nuts.
9. I haven’t actually ever seen the TV show Whale Wars.
10. I am absolutely addicted to Swedish Fish and Turtle Chocolates.
I know the penance will include one or more of the following, which I will dutifully commit to undertaking: beach clean-ups, ocean outreach, tide pool walks, save-the-sea-turtles petitions, and volunteering for my favorite blue groups.
Glory be to Mother Ocean, and to our one and only Blue Marble, and to the Sea Turtles; as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever.
I remain your humble servant.
To post a comment, please login.
11th Hour Racing Team co-founder Charlie Enright will be among the featured speakers... continue
For writer and journalist Julia Baird, the daily ritual of swimming in the ocean provides a peaceful... continue